View Single Post
Old September 6, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
MLeake

AARP members; legitimate threats?

A question came up in a now-closed thread: Is an unarmed 61 year old man a legitimate threat?

One poster mentioned that Chuck Norris is in his 60's.

That made me think of a dojo I trained at in Orlando.

The head instructor is around 70, and has myasthenia gravis (sp?). There are times when he can barely walk. There are other times when he can fling much younger people through the air and onto the ground with force that leaves them breathless for a while. I've been a recipient of one of his open palmed slaps (I left myself in a poorly guarded position while trying a wrist-lock on him, and he gave me the slap to let me know) that left my ear ringing for over a day.

A couple of the higher level belts (4th dan and 3rd dan) are in their mid-60's. One is the father of some of my high school classmates. It used to amuse him to work out with me; my wrists have finally healed. The other is a very young looking 64, looks more like 50. Either of these gentlemen would pose a very serious threat to your average adult male.

We had a couple other, lower black belts in their 60's. I wouldn't want to initiate conflict with them, either.

Note: At the time I was working out with these guys, I was actually in shape, late 30's, 6ft/205lbs, and benching around 315. I would have considered these men to be very serious threats.

Just something to think about.

Cheers,

M

Page generated in 0.03817 seconds with 8 queries