View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 02:59 PM   #15
HJ857

You didn't really indicate what your price range is and that's a big consideration.

I've been using a Burris 1-4 XTR since they first came out and I like it a lot, but there are very good new options available now. I'm not sure I'd get another one.

I didn't watch that video but I have a couple observations. First, if you want the 1X range, then I'd urge you to go with a true 1X optic, not a 1.2 or 1.65 or 2X. Being able to use it a close range with both eyes open is a huge bonus. If you can't do that, then you may as well just get a 3-9x scope and be done with it.

BDC reticles, in my experience, never match up to how the bullet actually travels. It's good enough at close range but gets a lot worse at distance. It's ok if you can remember you hold over/under.

Magnification is only one aspect of the problem when you get to 300 meters and beyond. Mirage is a significant issue and more magnification often helps to just see the target. 4X is workable in good conditions. Unless your target is huge, like a National Match target. If the target is a IDPA cardboard with a dirt background with heavy mirage, it's a different story.

There was a scope that I want to think is a Vortex, but cannot remember precisely if that's correct, the zoom range is 1-4x but is only switchable, so it's either 1x or it's 4x with nothing between. I think that's perfect because the zoom rings usually stink and the only time I've ever used a magnification other than either 1x or 4x is when I was moving the ring while running from position to position and didn't turn the ring all the way to the stop point. Flipping a lever seems like a better idea.

Going back to the first point, if your budget allows check out the Swarovski Z6i, which is a 1-6x scope, with a price tag to match.

Also the US Optics SR8 1-8x.

Page generated in 0.03412 seconds with 8 queries