View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012, 12:28 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

The problem with .45ACP carbines...

Is that they are pretty much a niche market. There aren't very many designs currently in production, and of those, most are semi auto "copies" of military SMGs (although often with a longer barrel to meet legal requirements).

"Inexpensive" and .45 carbines don't usually go together. The High Point is the cheapest I know of, and while it doesn't look great, they are reported to work. High Point has a reputation of standing behind their guns, so that is a plus. If it doesn't work, they fix it, or get you another one.

The Marlins are cute little guns, pretty light, and look like a scaled up Marlin .22, except for the protruding plastic mag well. IIRC, the .45 came first, then the 9mm, but both are out of print. Saw a couple at my local gun shop a couple months back. I felt they were hidiously overpriced, but then, I remember them going for $250 new, and I think everything is overpriced.

I have heard the drawback to the Marlins is that there is a plastic buffer inside that wears out, and if not replaced, can lead to the rear of the receiver cracking. Can't say its true, and won't say its not, but there's been talk.....

Quote:
Thompson M1921 is pretty cool
yes, it is. And so is the M1928. But they are submachine guns, and getting one legally is a hassle, plus they are going for about $20,000 and some twice that.

The 1927A1, however is semi auto, and much, much cheaper, but still not a "cheap" plinker at MSRP of over $1K.

here's mine.

and they are tremendously HEAVY, too!

Page generated in 0.03044 seconds with 8 queries