View Single Post
Old December 16, 2011, 05:45 PM   #18
nate45

Quote:
Personally, if I could choose between spotting a situation develop 2 seconds earlier and having a 0.5 second draw, I'd take the situational awareness edge every time.
I agree, I have a half second draw and I'd much rather a) not have to use my pistol period, by avoiding the situation, or b) already have it in my hand before the shooting started.

Putting it all together and drawing a handgun, then firing full power defense ammunition, that actually strikes the target, takes lots of practice. Its also dangerous, lots of people have shot themselves in the leg or foot doing it.

Having a good holster is a place to start, I suppose mine are old fashioned and not tacticool, but so am I and the 1911 style platform I prefer.

From left to right: N-Frame Bianchi Cyclone, K-frame Bianchi L58, El Paso Saddlery Tom Three Persons for the SAA, S.D. Myres for 4" j-frame, S.D. Myres for 2" j-frame. Bottom: El Paso Saddlery Yaqui Slide

I've got lots of holsters, but I'm fastest out of the above. I really don't practice with revolvers much anymore. So I can clear the Yaqui Slide the fastest.

I took that pic of my timer, because I thought eight rounds of +P 230 grain .45ACP that all hit the A-zone of an ISPC target 5 yards away was pretty good.

You can see I drew and fired one shot in .53 and then seven more in 1.55 for a 2.08 total. If I draw at my own volition, instead of in response to the timer beep, I can cut that first shot time in half.

All it took was a lot of practice. Is it worth it, or practical? I dunno, but its fun doing it and then seeing the look on peoples faces, while .45 ACP cases are still falling from the air.

Page generated in 0.03137 seconds with 8 queries