View Single Post
Old August 13, 2010, 09:33 PM   #29
Xyas

Without getting into too much detail (I have to get going in 5 minutes but I'll answer your question quick), the "shock" that a normal person undergoes is just due too basically a dump of catecholamines (adrenaline/epinephrine, norepinephrine as examples) into the body. You probably have heard of this as "fight of flight". Some people get amped up and fight. Other people just run or can even faint. It all basically depends on the situation. You'd be surprised how much control your mind has over your body as mentality goes. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what exactly causes the fainting of a person, sometimes it may just be hyperventilation (breathing too quickly), the person not breathing because they're holding their breath, or some other mechanism that I'm not aware of without researching somewhat, possibly related to something like myotonia congenita (note this wouldn't be the actual condition the person undergoes but it may be related mechanistically).

I don't like the term shock when referring to combat situations where a person "goes into shock" and faints or what have you. Technically there are only 4 types of shock (could argue for the 5th). They are: hypovolemic, cardiogenic, distributive, and obstructive. I can go into more detail on each one later.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I'll check back later and see if i could find more information out about it.

Page generated in 0.02171 seconds with 8 queries