View Single Post
Old March 30, 2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

To choke an old man, or not!

Well, the "old man" is a 20's vintage Winchester 97 Takedown. I grew up learning to shoot shotguns, and hunt with my father's old "97. Long gone now through a trade he made for a "modern" shotgun. But I have always wanted to get another 97 Winchester. When I had an opportunity, I jumped without much research, or even looking the gun over. Well worn blue, but pretty good wood. Except for some finish wear on the buttstock thanks to a slip on rubber recoil pad. The barrel has been cut and a new bead installed sometime in it's life. Shortened to 26", and I'm sure the "FULL" on the barrel means nothing. It came with a partner as well. A 30's vintage Model 12 20 gauge that has more blue, and pretty good wood. It has been "updated" as well with the addition of a Polychoke. Not the Cutts Compensator that was factory installed on some guns, but an aftermarket Polychoke. I gave $400 for the pair, probably not a great deal, but maybe OK. OK with me anyway.
My question is, since the Model 97 isn't in any kind of great collector condition, and it is now choked to something closer to a spreader, what would you think about having it threaded for a screw in choke. I really don't have a particular hunting use in mind. But thought it might make a decent turkey card gun with the right choke tube.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; April 1, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.03037 seconds with 8 queries