View Single Post
Old May 2, 2009, 06:56 PM   #23
Slamfire

Quote:
Also if you can't unload your gun safely without the gun being on safe then your an idiot.....and probably shouldn't have a gun anyway
That is terribly unfair thing to say, as accidental discharges that have happened with the M700's were not necessarily the owner's fault.

It's the trigger mechanism. The trigger mechanism that came with the Remington M721 through late model M700's was faulty. When you put the safety on, it blocked the sear and locked the bolt handle down. However a number of these rifle had accidental discharges when the safety was taken off.

A grey beard that I shoot with, he recounted a story of two hardware store new M721's that discharged, "through the floor boards", when the owners took the safety off to unload the rifles.

I never cared for a sear blocking safety, but that is what is on my M700. I have adjusted it, slapped it, dropped it on its butt with the safety on, worked the bolt extra fast, to ensure that it it does not over ride. On my M700, Remington changed the trigger so the bolt is not locked down when the safety is on. That was to reduce the chance of an accidental discharge as you don't have to take the safety off to open the bolt. On later model M700's Remington totally changed the trigger mechanism.

Outside of the trigger mechanism, which has had problems, and recent poor worksmanship, the M700 has proven to be a strong and reliable design.

Page generated in 0.02372 seconds with 8 queries