View Single Post
Old June 21, 2000, 01:03 PM   #11
Ledbetter

Brian, I will give you the benefit of my vast experience, gained over the last week and a half. It is a beginner's perspective.

Skeet is different from trap which is different than sporting clays. Trap seemed simpler to me so a started with that; all the clays come from one low house in front of you. You chamber and shoot one cartridge and one clay at a time (this is a safety rule).

You may be shooting as part of a "squad." There are 25 shots in a round. There are five shooting positions (with incremental positions behind them for added distance) layed out in a semicircle behind the trap house. After five shots from one position, everyone in the squad rotates to the next.
The clays move away from you after they are launched, so you should shoot fast. Point and shoot worked better than aiming for me, and I guess for most people.

Don't be an arrogant bozo, and don't let them bother you either. Do everything the rangemaster says; don't chamber a round until it's your turn and you're ready to shoot. Ask the rangemaster if there's anything you don't understand. People get their legs shot up too often, watch your muzzle and the muzzles of the other gunners.

Expect to have more fun than you've ever had shooting a shotgun. Blowing up flying stuff--the ultimate reactive target. As Oleg said, great practice for other uses.

For indoor practice at hanging targets, nothing beats Brenneke Rottweil slugs. Just kidding. I never heard of indoor shotgun practice, but I bet they have it somewhere.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Page generated in 0.02957 seconds with 8 queries