View Single Post
Old August 31, 2012, 05:38 PM   #34
Unclenick
Staff

No, that's about right. Most stick powders are around 0.84 to 0.92 grams/cc, and most spherical propellants are somewhere around 0.92 to just over 1.00/g/cc, which is the density of water.

You can make a quick test to prove this to yourself. I tried to think what's in the house that is about 1 cc, and the closest thing I could think of would be a 1/4 teaspoon measure, which should be 1.23 cc's. Your original number was 0.965 grs/cc, times 1.23 would be 1.187 grs/1.23 cc's. Round that to numerator to 1.2 grains, weigh 1.2 grains, then pour it into 1/4 teaspoon. If the density were a match to your first number, then 1.2 grains would fill the 1/4 teaspoon just over level. In actuality it will be about 1/15th full. If, by any chance, it does come up level, then your scale is weighing in grams instead of grains.

I hear you on the changes in how we measure things. When you and I were in engineering school the National Bureau of Standards still existed and most standards were physical rather than calculated from inertia and other factors. The latter means anyone can make a reference standard, but it has changed how things are defined and calibrated. My patents are all in applied thermodynamics, and I got so numbed with the lengthy units after awhile that I got Mathcad just to let it handle all the conversions automatically. What a life and embarrassment saver it has been at times.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03050 seconds with 8 queries