View Single Post
Old April 1, 2002, 04:53 PM   #11
Jim Watson

yankytrash,

Considering your other thread on the subject, I think you need a wee tad more experience in the field before you start running your own shoots.

"This country boy really hates the whole safety routine."

is not the approach to take. Size, format, location, and entry fee notwithstanding, you promote a shooting match and you will be liable for its safe conduct. Let one of those good old boys get winged and you will find out just how good a friend he is. Him and his lawyer.

So go shooting. Don't worry about the other people's fancy raceguns in IPSC. You weren't planning on winning anyway, were you? Learn the rules in IDPA whether they make sense to you or not. You will learn some skills you might need someday. You will learn that shooting well is more than pulling the trigger. There is a guy in my town who was heard to complain "I can shoot the gun, I just can't handle all these RULES!" I hate to see him coming. Fortunately, he doesn't shoot in public very often. But when he does, he gets extra care in explanations of the courses of fire and a close watch on safe execution of them.

Join USPSA and take the NROI Range Officer classes. Level 1 is on how to run a stage safely, fairly, and by the rules. Level 2 includes work on course design. It is oriented to IPSC of course, but it will show you just how much is required to have a safe and well balanced match that will challenge the good shooters and not scare off the beginners.

But mostly, just play our games for a while. There is more there than you think.

Page generated in 0.02640 seconds with 8 queries