View Single Post
Old June 2, 2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

Admittedly, I had to look up LCR 357 to see what piece you have. It is a lightweight, short-barreled gun. All the more reason for going with the fast powders - as I mentioned in my previous post.

I've been loading since 1984 and have 10's of thousands of reloaded 357 round of experience. I must take issue with those telling you to go with these slow powders - that is not what you want. AA9 is excellent powder, it makes awesome full-power, high-velocity, magnum rounds - THROUGH A GUN WITH AT LEAST 6" OF BARREL LENGTH. You shoot AA9 rounds through your LCR snubbie, and you are in for some serious flash and smoke!

Slow powders have a long, gradual pressure curve - excellent for long barrels because it has the time-burn necessary to accelerate the bullet through the length of a long barrel. But it's a waste in snubbies because the back half of that long pressure curve is burning in the open air and not in your barrel - where the velocity is being produced.

That Bullseye you have is a good choice. Sierra 5th Edition (I have my manuals with me today lol) has their 110g (Sierra # 8300) at 7.1g - 8.4g. I would definitely start at no more than 7.1g. For the 125g's, (Sierra #s 8310 & 8320) they have 7.4g - 8.3g. Again, I would definitely start at no more than 7.4. I would even consider starting lower. (Also, it seems odd that the start point for the 125's are more the the start point for the 110s, but that's what the book says - got it right here in front of me.) I would be inclined to say start even lower (again), because it's got my W231 powder starting at 8.1g, and at 8.1, I experienced pressure problems. The W231 load I settled on is 7.6g - 0.5g LESS than the manual's minimum. There is no load data for the 700X, btw.

Fast powders - sharp pressure curve - good for short barrels.
Slow powders - long pressure curve - good for long barrels.

Page generated in 0.03031 seconds with 8 queries