View Single Post
Old March 18, 2007, 08:01 AM   #21
Dogjaw

I load 5 rounds of each load to start. I start with selecting a powder that has a good history with that caliber.
Here's what I did for my 111FL Savage chambered in 250 Sav (250-3000). The bullet was a Speer 87 gr. TNT. My manual listed W760 and 4350 powders, I had both so I loaded the 2 powders at 3 levels each, 5 rounds per load (30 rounds total). I started with the 5 light IMR powder rounds and worked my way up the ladder with the other 2 IMR loads, shooting for group and checking for pressure signs. I then did the same with the Winchester powder.

I don't care where the first bullet lands when trying a load. I care about where the next 4 land, and adjust sights or scope later. The above method allows for trending. I found that as I drove the bullet faster, the groups tightened for both powders (FOR THIS RIFLE AND BULLET COMBO, FASTER DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN ACCURACY). The Winchester loads largest group (lightest load) started at the IMR powders best group (1-1/2") and tightened to 3/8" at published max. I don't push past a max load. If I need / want more umph, I'll get a different caliber designed to handle it.

I'll then play with seating depth if needed. My Rem 7400 semi-auto shoots best with the bullet seated > max oal. Again by loading 5 shots of each adjustment to improve on the load.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........

Page generated in 0.03022 seconds with 8 queries