View Single Post
Old May 27, 2013, 04:21 PM   #47
pathdoc

When I have the time, I plan to do some experiments on the four different dipper-use techniques I have identified and see how consistent each can be.

This has been done, with a selection of powders in the old-style dippers (which were graduated in cubic inches). The results were published in the 8th edition of Handloader's Digest. IIRC some of the pistol and rifle ball powders came within 0.1 grain variation of the average - in other words, within the limit of resolution of the Redding beam balance that was used as the gold standard - and the greatest variation was 0.5 grain above or below average for some of the coarse stick rifle powders (though larger scoops did better).

That being said, I think it's probably worth repeating this experiment given how long ago the article was written (the scoops are now metric among other things) and how many new powders we've seen come on the market since then.

I guess it's up to the individual shooter to decide whether he or she can live with those variations, but given the author's other observation - that these scoops tended to throw "under" - anyone using them in a Lee Loader probably wouldn't come to grief unless they did something else stupid.

Page generated in 0.05091 seconds with 8 queries