View Single Post
Old November 13, 2004, 10:28 AM   #26
Aikibiker

If I were in your position I would look and see if my school offered a wrestling or boxing program. I would also check local community centers and the YMCA for cheap martial arts lessons.

If you have to train on your own I would suggest you learn a good hook type punch to the lower body and a palm heel strike to the face.

For the body blow you will want to tighten your fist as much as possible. Think you are trying to crush a lump of coal into a diamond. Also tighten the muscles in your forearm as much as possible to avoid hurting your wrists. There are different schools of thought on which part of the fist to hit your opponent with. Some people say the fist two knuckles of the hand are the proper striking surface, others like to hit with the knuckle of the ring finger, still more prefer to hit with the entire fist. Experiment a little and see what works for you. Get in close to your bag and drive your punches out from your hips like a piston. Try to drive your blows THROUGH your target. On the street these strikes can be used when in close to target the abdomen if your opponent gets close and you need to drive them off. Offensively you can use them by grabbing the upper arm of your enemy and turning him so that his back is exposed to you. Then begin repeatedly striking him in the closest kidney.

For the palm heel strike you want to curl your fingers back to the first joint at the palm. The striking surface is bottom of your palm. The main target is the bottom of the chin. You will want to hit at an upward angle to drive the head up and backwards. Defensively you would most likely use this after blocking or slipping your opponents punch. It is also useful in stopping a grab attempt if you can catch it early. Offensively you would try get to the side of your opponent and gain control of his arm. Basically grab hold of it and push his elbow down and into his side to push him off balance, then bring your palm heel up the front of his chest to take advantage of the blind spot under his eyes. Drive the head up and back, then when he is looking up at the sky and leaning backwards push his head down to the ground.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!

Page generated in 0.03478 seconds with 8 queries