View Single Post
Old January 17, 2011, 12:21 PM   #15
ClydeFrog

VA Police & Security Services, VA.gov, SIG Sauer P229R DAK 9x19...

I worked in a temp/NTE(not to exceed) 085 Security position for a large VA medical center in the northeast US from 1998-1999.
The VA(Dept of Veterans Affairs) has a police/security service that I think is now called; VA Law Enforcement.
A few large VA healthcare systems used unarmed 085 security guards and 083 sworn police officers.
The VA police were carrying 92D 9mm sidearms(DA only format M9s). When Beretta cut the 92D models, a few VA medical centers chose other brands.
The sworn 083 VA officers near my home now carry the SIG P229R in the DAK format; 9x19mm.
Im surprised the VA did not select the P229R in .357sig or go with the .40S&W like many other LE agencies but I think they wanted to stay in line with the US Armed Forces(training & doctrine) as much as possible.

The VA police I worked with(most of which were retired MPs/USAF SPs) wanted to carry .45acp pistols. The .45acp round would be ideal for the medical center environment IMO but I'd prefer the newer .357sig. It's documented use by FAMs(air marshals) & the US Secret Service shows it's practical for close quarters or confined areas.

The VA police train in North Little Rock AR and sometimes go to the FLETC, www.FLETC.gov .

Page generated in 0.02835 seconds with 8 queries