View Single Post
Old March 17, 2013, 04:03 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

For an insurance claim, if you do the work yourself you can not legally "profit." You CAN legally charge the company a reasonable hourly wage(as in what someone would pay an employee to do the same work). I imagine that distinction is the result of court cases. Not sure it applies to reloading though. I don't thing The ATFE FAQ limits it to personal use, rather only specifies personal use does not require a license. You can obviously give reloads to a friend for free and that is not personal use.

As far as civil liability, if someone gets hurt shooting one of your reloads, I don't think you have any sort of civil protection. If you charge for the reload in any way, even a trade of services or such, you are probably in more trouble. I don't see how you could even come up with a disclaimer to sign if selling the ammo or manufacturers would have done it.

I belong too a club and brought up purchasing a nice reloading set-up for anyone to use. People were at first worried, but we let people run club owned saws on club property and even let them borrow saws for home use along with heavy equipment. It was generally agreed that was at least as bad as providing a press without dies or components. We haven't made the purchase yet and may not.

I wouldn't want to be the test case claiming I charged an hourly wage that was funneled back into shooting, so not a livelihood.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 17, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.03142 seconds with 8 queries