View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 12:52 PM   #58
S_Constitutionist

Quote:
I will be 66 a month from tomorrow and I've never been threatened with violence, that is, not since I was a teenager when I got in lots of fights and have the scars to prove it. I've walked many streets alone in Washington, DC, and London. I had company in Berlin. I've also logged many miles in the woods virtally all by myself. I have yet to see even a single wild dog, though I've seen bears. I've seen foxes but no wolves or coyotes. How have I managed to avoid trouble all these years?
I am not sure what you are proposing here. I am happy that you have never had a need for a firearm on your person, but that in no way discounts the numerous people who have.

Quote:
Do you suppose that has conditioned my outlook on things in general, compared with other people here?
All of our experiences condition us. I grew up in a very anti-gun household where I was not allowed to attend boy scout trips/meetings that involved marksmanship/gun handling. Thus, I had the perception that guns were evil and should be banned. When my girlfriend and I were threatened with a gun in a bad part of Phoenix (near my home), I decided that I needed to learn how to protect myself and that one day I would carry. A gun wouldnt have helped me in that situation, but it showed me that the world is not all unicorns and rainbows. I easily could have gone the other way and lobbied for a gun ban (as many do), but I ardently support our constitution and recognized that the guy waving a gun at me could just still have done me harm with another weapon. So, I took responsibility for myself and started learning how to defend myself and my family.

Quote:
It is interesting that someone suggested that the problem is fraternities and not something else. That has been suggested by others and in fact, some schools do not have them anyway.
I dont believe that fraternities are the problem, my point was that I can create an empirical argument that they cause a lot more problems on campuses than firearms have. If fraternities are the purported reason why legal CCW should not be allowed on campus(as stated many times in this thread), then yes, they would the problem.

Page generated in 0.03927 seconds with 8 queries