View Single Post
Old July 27, 2010, 08:08 AM   #30
kadima

Ex Yugoslavia, some fifteen years ago. Doing some let's say "liaison" jobs to ensure safe passage for humanitarian supplies. I was "guest" for that night of a militia camp. One of the militiamen, really plastered put the business end of an AK between my eyes shouting something in Croatian that (afterwards I got a summary translation) meant thet he believed I was a spy and he was going to shoot me.
I stood still, because there wasn't actually much I could do, and the boss of the camp came to rescue me.
He said "You are really brave. Didn't escaped, simply kept still...". I could have confessed that my steadfastness was simply due to me petrified by terror, but I preferred to omit that detail. The morning after that militiaman (with no traces of hangover, how I envyied him....) had breakfast with me and saying in a broken Italian that the night before he was just joking... and as a sign of friendship he gave me his bajonet. I gave the bajonet to a scout a few years later, but this is another history.

K.

Page generated in 0.04075 seconds with 8 queries