View Single Post
Old August 20, 2013, 04:10 AM   #40
HiBC

I have never chopped a complete Springfield,Mauser,Krag,etc.

But I have bought receivers,barreled receivers,complete milsurp actions,etc from $25 on up.

One project leaning in the corner is based on a beautiful 1909 Argentine Mauser action I bought.If I sought far and wide,bought one screw and band at a time,I could have restored it to a military trim rifle.But,it would still be a cigar box gun and a purist would accuse me of making a fraud gun.

It has a Garrett Accralite fwt M-70 ish pattern schnabeled stock,a #2 Lothar Walther barrel,Timney trigger,Gentry sideswing M-70 type safety,and an Italian made commercial bolt(I bought 3 from Alex Imports long ago).It also has a steel commercial 30-06 length mag box/guard assy.

Its going to be a nice hunting rifle.Very light.

At the same time,I recently completed a FRAUD 1903A4 based on a Rem 03a3 receiver and a B+S bolt I altered.I bought a NOS ""C" stock from Northridge,a Criterion Barrel,an Aftermarket clone of bases and rings from New Zealand(which required rework)and a Lyman Alaskan.I think it came out rather well,and I had the pleasure of watching a 300 yd piece of steel get smacked as Mr Kraigwy helped break it in.

I took a stripped Mexican Mauser receiver,a Yugo bolt,another aforementioned Garrett stock(I like them),a Rem 700 ADL guard,timney trigger,Douglas fwt bbl,Weaver rings/bases,and a 6x by 42 Leupold and made my 257AI.20 + years ago.It will still shoot under 4 in at 300 yds.Inside one of those orange diamonds.Scope and all it weighs 7 lbs.

As I built this stuff,I learned to fit a barrel,chamber,fit wood or glass to metal.etc,

And,I got to envision a tool and build it.

If I get another 1903A3 receiver...I have Sarco "C" stock...warped ahead of the lower band pretty badly.I was thinking a clone of an old school target rifle..A bit like an NRA DCM Sporter cut stock,maybe a medium target Obermeyer cut rifled bbl,Lyman 48,a bbl band/sling swivel resembling a Krag,in my junk I have a new Morgan buttplate I bought long ago...

I don't care what they are worth..I don't plan on selling .

Oh,my 513T build is near done,I had a boltless receiver.

My accumulation of leftover 1911 parts and a few new ones is near ready to shoot,decided a pretty much mil-spec would match the 1903A4

Oh,here is one of my bubba hack jobs,you know those Browning 92 Miroku .44 Carbines?.Took a Douglas unturned blank and cut a tapered octagon rifle barrel,a 92 crescent buttplate,an English walnut board,some other goodies and made a rifle..I can look at a target close my eyes,shoulder the rifle,open my eyes,and have sight picture on target.

Just call me Bubba.

You learn by doing.Yeah,buying a rifle is OK,but I'd rather build.

There were some famous Milsurp Bubba hackers...Sedgley,Jefferies...Husqvarna,Al Beisen,PO Ackley...
Remember the custom rifle spreads on the old John T Amber Gun Digest?

Last edited by HiBC; August 20, 2013 at 04:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.04443 seconds with 8 queries