View Single Post
Old June 23, 2008, 06:21 AM   #38
Brit

Carry enough gun!

I always kind of thought it was dorky to carry a lot of extra ammunition. As a matter of fact, I still kind of think its dorky. Its uncomfortable, its hard to hide, and it makes me feel like a mall ninja; but as soon as I began thinking about my role in an active shooter scenario, I started carrying extra ammo (usually).

What is the point of slipping a Airweight .38 (5 shots) into a pocket, if all of your shooting skills have been built around live fire range exercises, be it as a LEO. or a IDPA or IPSC competitor?

Living in Gods Country (USA) and his best state (Florida) we get to carry most anywhere, and the mode of dress (not that I wear a dress) Florida casual, stiff cloth, hang outside the pants shirts, means you can duplicate your skill level, shooting wise, with your go to Church or Publix trips with correct weaponry, and spare magazine's.

Fluctuating between a G17 or G19 as match pistols has let me know that the handling and accuracy are the same. The match pistols stay in that role (in the safe otherwise) the get to carry every day pistol is a Glock 19, with a go too magazine on the other side of the belt being a G17 one.

Same trigger weight, 5 lbs, same sight's TruGlow, same holster, same belt.

I am an old guy, but fit, in a Mall or shopping center, or Grocery store, or the odd movie house, or my favorite Pancake house, there is always two of us!
My Wife and I, a physical threat to the love of my life, will get immediate, and appropriate response, be it a look! Done, a hand strike, Done! or whatever it is deemed by the committee of one (ME!) to be the appropriate response.

A couple of years ago I completed a one week long SWAT course, we did the various active shooter(s) exercises, we had a real School as a class room! I am a good shot, accuracy being my forte, in doing various jobs that led in to physical violence in the past, I know I can go from nice to maniac (controlled one) in a heart beat. But having said all that, we are leaving the sound of the gunshots behind, my G19 holstered, my Wife hanging on to my belt with two hands! my hands empty.

Forgot to mention one thing... Blue Tooth ear piece locked on to 911!

Page generated in 0.03659 seconds with 8 queries