View Single Post
Old December 9, 2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I am among a very small minority....

....who thinks the breach plug should be removed for cleaning every once in a while.

Please understand it has been about 15 years since I have owned a single shot anything. (Come to think of it I bought and then immediately sold a Kentuckian about 18 months ago but never shot it.) But I can recall that when I removed the breach plug I would get additional material out of the barrel that remained after cleaning with just the nipple removed.

I know there is a way to properly clean the pistol without removing the plug (Fingers is very experienced so his method should produce good results) My main concern in not being able to remove the breach plug was that I never knew exactly how good a job I was doing with my cleaning. I had two rifles from which I simply could not remove the breach plug. Neither could a gunsmith. I have no idea how dirty these rifles were.

Many forum members who are far better verse in single shot BP shooting will say it is not important to get the breach plug out ever. I just happen to disagree.

Page generated in 0.02414 seconds with 8 queries