View Single Post
Old October 18, 2008, 05:01 PM   #16
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong
Spray and pray is not a good shooting technique. Learning target focused shooting (point shooting, instinctive shooting, etc.), on the other hand, is an excellent way to survive the usual CCW incident.
I edited my posts to show that I never advocated spray and pray. I think we agree on the point shooting technique though. I believe most would agree that you react in the manner you practice when the poop hits the fan. If you are attacked and you try to get the perfect sight picture before firing, you may end up dead. If you can draw and get your gun on target faster than the bad guy, your odds go up significantly.

I think I need to get back to my airsoft practice where I would start with the gun at low ready and try to acquire the target and fire as quickly as possible. I was hitting a 8" x 8" sticky target from across the room without relying on the sights. I was actually at the point where most of my shots were grouping within 3 inches. The problem is the airsoft I have is a Sig P226 replica and I carry a Glock 26. Time to get a new Airsoft I guess.

The idea behind being able to empty the gun as quickly as possible is you are relying more on the muscle memory of the "reset" than on sight picture. Basically, you can reset to where your point of aim is without relying on the sights, despite the recoil. I'm sure that is a matter of being very used to a gun. Like I said, few ranges allow you to rapid fire so many may not have even experienced it.

I guess my main point of this thread is to get people to think about their practice time at the range and see how it would translate to a real life gun fight. In my opinion, pretty groups under controlled fire is meaningless unless you can draw and fire quickly and accurately.

Page generated in 0.03213 seconds with 8 queries