View Single Post
Old October 18, 2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

something I haven't seen talked about yet...

even if you don't have issue with the .410 / 45 calibers accuracy reliable stopping, whatever...

... I would worry about dependable function of the revolver with the cylinder that long... I shoot alot of uber magnum revolvers, have several with extra long cylinders ( 357 Max & the like ) my expirience... long term, is the double action triggers are much heavier ( because of the extra mass of the cylinder, can get even worse with the added bullet / shell weights ) there is more chance of lint / dirt causing scrub on the cylinder, because of longer cylinder... shooting shot shells has to have a higher incedence of locked up cylinder, because of possible plastic or wadding jamming at the forcing cone area...

... not that you're going to have trouble shooting it every time, but just want some of those who may not have thought of this, to be aware, that the failure might just be where / when you need it most...

my next revolver purchase will be a 500 S&W ( yep, same long cylinder ) but it's purpose will be for big grins only... If I'm camping in griz country, my Ruger Alaskan in 454 ( with a standard length cylinder ) will still be my side arm, not anything with the extra length cylinder, from a strickly reliability stand point...

if you are buying any .410 revolver, I hope you are buying it for big grins, rather that for protecting your life... that said, I may end up with one for a truck gun, to shoot skunks on the driveway... better to be stinky if the gun should lock up, than dead, because of the same

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 18, 2012 at 07:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.03183 seconds with 8 queries