View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Mike,

Are you having any problems with leading? What lube are you using? What do your cylinder throats mic at as compared to bullets you are loading?
Thanks
Well i will be totally honest, I haven't had any leading as of yet with either the 45 Colt or the 454 except one streak, about an inch long, with the first 5 rounds through the 454.

This said, I took a tip from a fellow on Castboolits, and have swabbed the clean bores with a patch smeared with Alox to sort of prelube them prior to firing any rounds through them. It worked with the 454 so I figure it can't hurt with any of the rest. I have tried a couple of different mixes, one of the better ones was Felix Lube, and using straight Alox, but didn't like the tackyness or the longer dry time. I have since been using the 45/45/10 formula and not had any issues. I lube once before sizing and again after, on both the plain base and the GC'ed versions. Nothing has presented itself with either.

On the throats, again to be honest, I haven't got anything to accurately measure them other than calipers, and I have found they aren't very reliable. I initially was shooting some Cast Performance 265's through the 454 and while GC'ed they did not show any issues even when driven over 30grs of 296. From the 8.375" barrel they rocked along easily at around 1700fps. When I checked their diameter they were sized to .452 so that is where I went with everything else I have run through it.

In similar fashion, I had some Oregon Trail bullets in 200 and 250gr which I loaded up initially in the 45 Colt just to go shoot the thing when I first got it. After close to 100 rounds through it, all that was really noted was a bunch of powder residue and possibly a few pieces of lead on a patch, but the bore came squeaky clean with hardly any work at all.

Since, I have run several hundred of my own boolits in various weights through it with similar results. While some of the softer alloy I tried, did leave a bit more what I call traces, none of them have left what I would call abnormal leading. I shot some from my 41 years ago which I know for a fact was severe, and actually had tinsel looking strings hang out the muzzle after only a couple of shots.

Page generated in 0.03440 seconds with 8 queries