View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 05:03 PM   #31
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
She's like 5'2 maybe 100 lbs, youth models will also be considered.
The stature of that Lady. Oh yes I can see there is a need for a little less challenging recoil now. Lets take a look at something more. 243 is good. 260 Remington another fine cartridge. 257 Roberts. 250 Savage. 6mm Remington. Even that old 6.5 Swedish. All excellent light recoiling calibers. If you two are into perhaps a larger big game animal hunt like the Elk down the road after she gets use to her new rifle. I would give some thought towards the 25-06 verses the 270. That's if she doesn't mind a little bit of recoil having to handle on a shot or or two having to make on those really big deer out west. (elk)__ 25-06 offers more light weight bullets than a 270 as you probably know. Having to shoot 150 gr. in a 270 is not difference than a 30-06 in recoil. 7mm 08? Again not much difference than the 308 also in recoil. I personally don't think either the (270 or 7mm08) would be her cup of tea.
It would be a better idea to perhaps stay within that 24 to 26 caliber range of calibers for her due to her slight stature. Besides if your there along side her with a Mag in hand I'm sure you could give her a hand in making sure that monster big feller hits the ground if and when she encounters one. The main point I'm try to make is not to spoil a good chance to outfit her with a weapon that may be discomforting to carry and shoot.
One rifle that comes to mind that would have been perfect. That little Ruger Ultra Light bolt action they made a few years back. And perhaps one like I carry myself. Rem 700 Mountain rifle. I actually have two of them. One in 270 the other in 25-06. (Twins so to speak.) You might want to check into those light weight skinny barreled rifles in her behalf before hand and judge for yourself what may or may not be appropriate. Although a stock may have to be trimmed a little for her comfort. But that shouldn't be a too big of a deal to have done. I wish you both good luck in your quests.

S/S

Page generated in 0.03575 seconds with 8 queries