View Single Post
Old February 12, 2000, 12:03 PM   #3
Svt

Ah, the endless debate of what actually is martial arts. Rosco, you have no idea what the purpose of martial arts is. Mind, body and spirit can over-come any power punching show-off. If I was faced with a situation, I would first try to run-away. Even though I know I can kill the man with my fists and feet and of course, my firearm. I still would rather run-away.
I was not allowed to learn any other discipline until I mastered Shaolin Kung Fu. Since my father is of Chinese descent and my mother Vietnamese, I spent 11 years being a student of Kung Fu.
Kung Fu is amazing that there is no strength requirement. No hardcore Chuck Norris workout. What gets a workout is your mind and reflexes. I guarantee you a 5’5” Kung Fu Grandmaster will destroy a 6’4” 250 power punching, muscle rippling “martial arts champion”. You can not replace reflexes and anticipation.
If you train in true martial arts, you train to relax your mind and spirit. You do not train for the sole purpose of being a lethal fighting machine. That is not the purpose of martial arts.
At age 16, I took up Muay Thai Kick Boxing. With Muay Thai, I learned speed, speed, and placement. Most think you have to lift a ton of weights to be a strong puncher. Not true. A perfectly placed punch can be lethal.
With the many years of martial arts training, I came into the Army with a “nothing can destroy me” mentality. I went through airborne, air assault, and best of all, Ranger School. I served 4 years as part of Alpha Co. 75th Inf. 2nd Ranger Bn.
All that, and I stand 5’5” 110 lbs.

There are many roads that lead to the Way, but these contain but two common features: recognition and practice. By recognition is meant that meditation reveals the truth that all living things share a common nature, a nature concealed by the veils of illusion.

Second, adapt to your conditions. Mortals are ruled by their surroundings, not by themselves. All we experience depends upon surroundings. If we reap a reward or great boon, it is the fruit of a seed we planted long ago. Eventually, it will end. Do not delight in these boons, for what is the point? In a mind unmoved by reward and setback, the journey on the path continues.

------------------
Svt
RKBA!
NRA, GOA, VFW
Son's Place

Rangers Lead the Way

[This message has been edited by Svt (edited February 12, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03440 seconds with 8 queries