View Single Post
Old September 23, 2011, 03:34 AM   #43
huntinaz

Quote:
How dead do you need to make them? I get mildly annoyed when people who haven't actually used something, in the field, suggest that it should be outlawed simply because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions- or they assume basic rifle marksmanship is beyond the abilities of anyone willing to apply themselves
I agree with this. There are numerous situations where a semi-capable hunter could do just fine killing deer with a small caliber like a 22 hornet. Of course it isn't optimal for most situations, the average joe will be under-gunned because he takes crappy shots. So as a general rule, yeah it's not a good choice. But to say it's unethical and a stupid idea for EVERYONE in ALL situations is just being argumentative.

I guarantee you I could kill deer cleanly with a 22 hornet. I choose not to because with bigger calibers I don't have to be so picky, and in AZ you can kill one deer a year, and it has to be a buck, and you get one week to hunt them, and our deer herd is crappy... but if I lived in the east or midwest and could kill 400 deer a year within 100 yards all day long from bait then by God I would have to mix it up a bit. Sometimes I'd bring the 45-70, sometimes proly the 22 hornet.

I'd take a 22 hornet all day long at 30 yards over a 357 handgun, I'll tell you that much.

Page generated in 0.02270 seconds with 8 queries