View Single Post
Old May 2, 2008, 05:59 PM   #1
mossberg500

Used JB Weld for a front sight.

I bought a used SS H&R 12 ga from Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago. Took it shooting last weekend and was definitely impressed with the patterns it held with the #6 game loads.

The gun had the old brass bead for a front sight. I didnt want to monkey around with that too much, so I bought one of those neon looking sights that normally would screw in in place of the brass bead, but I didnt want to risk breaking the old one off trying to remove it, and the gun only cost $55, so Im hardly about to take it to a gunsmith.
So I used some JB Weld and put the front sight on just behind the bead. Its a smaller one that is only a bit bigger than the existing bead itself.
Ive used JB Weld on an engine block before, and since I had nothing to lose thought Id give it a shot.
Went really well. You have to look closely to even see that its put on that way.

I got a bit curious to see if it would come off and tried knock it off (if it breaks Im out $5 for the sight, cheap enough but I wanted to know if this thing is going to come off in the field (another reason to leave the brass bead intact), but no matter how much pounding I have done its showing no sign of even starting to give.

Im interested to see how it holds up, Ive never had anything come apart once JB was on it.
Has anyone else use JB Weld on a gun barrel here ? (obviously no one would on a new gun, but on an older one).

Page generated in 0.03515 seconds with 8 queries