View Single Post
Old February 10, 2014, 12:42 AM   #18
totalloser

I used AA no5 for years in a handful of different autoloader cartridges (.357sig, .40, 9mm) and the only gripe I have had was that being a ball powder sometimes it gets under the disc in my Lee autodisc during extended loading sessions. When it does, more tends to sneak in and once it does, little pieces trickle down into the works of the press.

Recently I started switching to power pistol and have had different quirks. Behind cast boolits it is tricky to dial in a load. Tiny changes in charge weight make large changes in heat in the load. Compounding this issue is that going from one cavity to another in a disc varies greatly with PP. As in going up one size only increases weight 1/10 grain, then the next after that drops almost a grain heavier. The drops are very consistent, but this makes it impossible to dial in what I'd really like in some instances. *Especially* with lubed lead boolits. It doesn't seem to let any sneak under the disc though.

I intend to put set screws in the cavities of a few discs to accommodate this quirk. The adjustable disc has it's own quirks which I don't feel like fooling with. But between the two, AA5 was very forgiving and versatile. I suspect AA7 would be even more so except in situations where lack of case volume creates compressed loads.

Page generated in 0.02018 seconds with 8 queries