Thread: Stuck nipple
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2009, 10:25 AM   #18
Andy Griffith

If you want a nipple wrench that will not deform even on the most stubborn revolver nipples, I have the solution, and it is suprisingly simple, although not "period correct," I don't think you will mind.

Go to your local hardware store or tool supplier and purchase a 3/16" nut driver.
I used the Pratt-Read brand because they are still made in the good old USA.
The factory part number is #77710 for the nut driver. Plus, the head of this one will just fit down in the recess where the nipples are, which might be an issue with another brand- I measured to be certain.

When you get it home, break out your Dremel tool, or a small set of files (they will take you longer) and cut out the sides so that it will go down over the nipple.

So long as you don't heat up the end of it too hot, it will stay hard and it is nearly impossible to strip this tool unless you continually let it slip off. This is guaranteed to get out the most stubborn nipple.

There is one other way if you think a cylinder is "lost," and it does work well.

Use either a Coleman stove or some kind of small gas burner- I used a little butane hiker stove that has one of those little butane/propane mix cylinders for backpacking. Put your cylinder on it and turn it up until it gets red hot- Make certain that you have some way to hold it and take it off of there without burning yourself or anything around that will burn! I built a metal plate affixed to my work table with two 1/4" pieces of drill rod on it to slip up through the chambers so it wouldn't turn. Then I got out my trusty nipple tool, and worked the nipple out gently. This worked when the penetrating oils wouldn't even budge it- this is a "last resort" remedy though, but it works.

Page generated in 0.03457 seconds with 8 queries