Thread: Revolver Messy
View Single Post
Old May 29, 1999, 05:02 PM   #9
JimmyBCool

Well, I'm back from the range. Confused but happy.

I "think" I was using SWC lead bullets when I got the huge mess. Today I shot 100 rounds of semi jacketed hollow point (still reloads). In both I used Winchester 231 powder. But today - no mess.

Either the smith adjusted something when he was "cleaning" the gun and didn't want to admit it, or the bullets make all the difference. I'm leaning towards the bullets. My smith has a large enough ego to just say "oh, looky here, I can fix this" rather than hide it.

It must be the lube on the lead bullets that was creating the mess. While I like the nice clean holes a lead SWC makes, for the revolver I'm going to stick with the semi jacketed bullets.

I also just started loading lead SWC for the 45 autos. I don't see any difference in mess versus the jacketed bullets I was shooting before, but I haven't opened up the autos to clean yet. Still, if the mess stays inside until I'm ready to clean I don't mind. And I really loved the difference in the holes the SWC makes. Very clear when two holes overlap.

Reloader, thanks for the tips. I think it is the lube and not the powder. But I'll file away the suggestions for future alternatives.

Paul, also thanks for tips. I'm still a newby, especially to reloading. I'm curious why you don't like jacketed bullets. If I could find some that cut the nice clean holes the lead SWCs make, I'd be in hog heaven. I don't mind the small difference in price.

Thanks again.

James

Page generated in 0.03973 seconds with 8 queries