View Single Post
Old November 5, 2008, 10:04 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things...

I've at least 30 deer slain with slugs behind me. Best guess, Brenekkes for about 1/3 of them, Forsters for the rest.

My two slug shooters are 870s, with extension mags, peep sights, short barrels, good triggers and well developed sets of wear marks.

No, I don't need a lot of rounds in those mag extensions. I found out decades back, tho, that clamping the barrel to the extension stiffens it and makes the vibrations more uniform.

The best slug here and now for these two is the KO Brenekke 1 oz. This is the first time ever where both guns "Liked" the same slug.

One gun has a 18" barrel, the other a 20". The 20" barrel takes Remchokes and has a rifled tube screwed in for deer season. The other is chokeless.

Both barrels have extended forcing cones, no overbores or ports.

The 18" barreled one has been mine since 1959. It was made in 1950, first year of production.Worked into a practical gun ca 1980.

3 shot, 100 yard groups from the bench and sandbags run less than 5" ETE.

The 20" barrelled version is a rebuilt police gun with RS/RC barrel.

It sticks them under 4" ETE.

Note that I have plenty of experience, a PAST wearable recoil pad and good bench technique.

Typically, field shots for me on MD's Eastern Shore run less than 50 yards. Average is about 30.

HTH....

Page generated in 0.02843 seconds with 8 queries