View Single Post
Old May 24, 2000, 07:32 PM   #8
ckurts

When I was studying geology at Sul Ross you were guaranteed to be overrun by rattlers if went out in the field with me or javelina if you went with a certain pal of mine. (It was a horror movie when we went out together) We spent most of our field time in north Brewster and south Pecos, in the Glass Mountains which are a rain forest compared to south Brewster- they must get 8 or 9 inches a year. My buddy claims to have spent a half day in a mesquite tree avoiding a pack of the brushy haired little monsters.

As a far as the NPR description of south Brewster, what can you say about a place where folks expect the 1st 100+ degree day of the year to take place in early February?

I've had barbacoa javelina. The first (only) time I cleaned one I took about 5 lbs of meat off a critter that weighed 45-50 lbs gutted. I can promise you, unless it is pressure cooked for about 30 minutes or simmered for about 9 hours before putting it on the grill, it's just about impossible to chew. I guess that's what you can expect from something that eats scorpions and lechuguilla itself.

Page generated in 0.02377 seconds with 8 queries