View Single Post
Old March 31, 2011, 05:08 PM   #32
cdoc42

The real question is can you plink with a less expensive bullet and get accuracy acceptable enough for hunting? Why practice with a load that you're not going to use on a practical basis? If you need the more expensive "premium" bullet to be accurate enough for your hunting trip, how often can you practice with it to become accustomed to the trajectory at various distances? I tend practice with what I hunt with, and that's why things boil down to Remington CorLok and Hornady Interlock. One or the other is usually accurate enough in my collection of rifles that I don't have to wander into the more expensive areas. I have experimented with Nosler and Barnes, Speer and Sierra over the years when the first two were more affordable.

Now, there is no argument that one will occasionally need the premium bullet depending on the game pursued. But for most occasions, the less expensive bullets fill the bill. I had a 300 yard shot at a Bull Elk with a 175gr Hornady Interlock in 7mm RM and he dropped like a rock and stayed down until we went to get him. Then he got up and stumbled down the hill. The bullet broke his shoulder but went no further. We collected him with another shot at that point. My next trip was a 200 yard Elk bull but I used a "standard" 215gr Sierra in .338 WM - the shot went straight through and broke both shoulders and he dropped on the spot.

Page generated in 0.02215 seconds with 8 queries