View Single Post
Old September 28, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1
915A

First handgun, advice?

First off I am new to the forum and personally owned firearms, and this might be lengthy. I am in the Service so not completely out of the loop with firearms. I have been doing my howework on various makes and models of handguns I have never fired any of the models I have looked at, but I have handled many in the store and the S&W M&P 9/40 full size , FNX/FNS 9/40, and Ruger SR9/40c felt the best in my hand and from what I have read that is a huge part of which to choose. I am not sure how much I will carry on my person, more so in the home, my vehicle, and the range. So here are my considerations , and I have read a ton so if it is redundant I apologize;

1) Ruger SR9/40c; Price wise these are the best, they felt great in my hand(had the full size mag in, and it was ok with the compact with pinky plate). I have read the trigger is pretty sweet compared to the other two. I have read multiple issues on the 9mm with light strikes and other issues, but just as many or more very positive results. And I got it nothing is perfect and Ruger seems to have top notch CS.

2) S&W M&P 9/40 full size standard or pro versions(Pro mainly for the sights). I tried the compact and it just didnt jive in my hand like the FS did. I know the full size mag with X grip would help. I know a lot of guys drop the APEX parts in and swear buy them. And I like the fact the .40 can be coverted to 9mm and .357. The 9mm seems to being getting some poor feedback about the newer style barrel being used, but again outstanding CS. And I am sure the aftermarket arena has lots of options for the M&P.

3)FNH FNS/FNX 9/40 is the most pricey of the bunch. Did feel really great in my hand. From what I am being told the FNX 9 is replacing the Beretta 92 series for the Army, so having what I carry at work could be an upside. The FNS was nicer, but I am concerned about the Slide lock issue with the trigger and hard hits. I was easily able to replicate both in the shop. Again FNH seems to have good CS.

4) Lastly the age old debate on Caliber, really it comes down to price for me. I like the fact that the M&P can be converted, and I am hearing the FNH can be as well.

I think they covers it for now, I look forward to the responses and sorry for being long winded.

Page generated in 0.02536 seconds with 8 queries