View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #20
F. Guffey

"Not good! Always try to push the should back in a separate first step (usually using a separate/different die)"

Pushing the shoulder back causes the case body to wad-up, I suggest using a forming die, the forming die erases the shoulder meaning part of the case body becomes part of the shoulder AND! part of the shoulder becomes part of the neck, meaning the shoulder of the 30/06 did not move, the shoulder became something else AND! the 8mm57 shoulder is a formed shoulder not a shoulder that was moved back.

"...almost every case had a short vertical split in the neck where the old .30-06 neck/should joint was. I am now repeating the whole process with commercial brass"

Again, I have no clue what chamber you are forming cases for, I do not know the dimensions of the chamber, Your success will depend of the understanding of case difference between military and commercial cases, the head of the military surplus case measures .200 + a little, the commercial R-P case head measures .260 -/+ a little, meaning the military case body is thinner with with a case body that is thicker, because? they say the military surplus case is heavier, and if so, the body must be thicker because the case head is thinner, so when making a choice between the two I choose to know the diameter of the chamber neck, after that there is neck reaming and annealing.

" Finally size the neck...much less friction/resistance.
Note...I use Imperial sizing wax VERY THINLY applied with fingers"

The instructions that come with the forming/trim die instruct full length sizing is necessary because the forming/trim die is not a sizer die, the shoulder of the formed case is not formed to chamber, the neck is not formed to chamber and the case body requires sizing, measure before and again after. I do not promote a particular lube.

A friend ask for help in forming cases for wildcats he builds, he has an A2 RCBS press, we started with Imperial sizing was, then went to Dillon in the can and bottle, and then I offered to make a trip home to get the good stuff, anyhow, we managed to reduce the neck expansion of his fired cases from .335 to .345 after firing to .340 to .345.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; May 17, 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: change of to is

Page generated in 0.02509 seconds with 8 queries