View Single Post
Old October 10, 2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Bart B.

PA-Joe, the reloading industry does have a shell holder height standard of .125" that's been around for decades. But they have a few thousandths spread. I've measured half a dozen or more makes and they're all +/- 0015" of .1250" height. But like SAAMI specs and standards for ammo, barrels and chambers, not every company abides by them to the Nth degree.

jersurf101, good to learn your die's set right to do all the right stuff resizing cases.

Guffey, in the reloading industry, the operation of reforming a fired cartridge case to approximately its original dimensions has been called full length sizing for decades. There is no dimensional specification, but as long as the fired case diameters from mouth to pressure ring are reduced any amount by the die, that's full length sizing. And few, if any, presses will size a bottleneck case to a GO headspace gauge dimension if set as you describe. That dimension on the case will be longer. And specs for virtually all ammo have their maximum dimension at those places is less (shorter) than a GO headspace gauge. I tried that years ago when someone told me to do it, but in my ignorance at the time, fired cases so sized would not fit the chamber of two rifles while the headspace gauge did with ease. 'Twas easy to measure the difference between the gauge and sized cases that had a greater dimension from head to shoulder.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.02114 seconds with 8 queries