View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

I don't shoot long arms (ML)

Only revolvers.

I load the cylinder (Out of the revolver) on a press which is mounted to the shooting box.

The shooting box is on the tailgate of my truck.

My shooting bench is far enough from the tailgate so I can fit a folding chair between....5 or 6 feet.

I load the cylinder from a brass flask with a spring loaded valve. (I have a Treso and a CVA.)

The plastic powder cannister is inside a drawer in the shooting box.

One comment about loading directly from a flask to a previously fired cylinder; It is more potentially dangerous to load in this way than it is to load using a charge sized scoop. (An exploding flask filled with powder is more potentially damaging than the explosion of a single powder charge.) I advise shooters to understand the risks involved as completely as possible and make their decision to load directly from a flask to the cylinder based upon (a) a good understanding of the risks, (b) use of practices which reduce those risks and (c) a willingness to accept the residual risks.

I say again that I am somewhat foolhearty and accept risks which others find unacceptable. In the end there are elevated risks associated with loading directly from a flask to a hot cylinder.

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries