View Single Post
Old January 23, 2014, 12:33 PM   #31
doofus47

Does someone have a link to the study itself?

When this news was printed in our local newspaper, there was a clarification that the 'access to firearms' data was "a gun owned by famliy, friends or neighbors.
So, I did some quick mental math and thought: lessee: 40% ish of US homes own a gun of some stripe.
If I am a normal person:
I have a neighbor on each side of me: 2
My parents have house: 1
I have at least one sibling: 1
I have at least 2 friends: 2
So a total of 6 basic possibilities of households which might give me access to a firearm. 40% of 6 is (bad math): 2.5. So, if I completely discount geography and demographics and social conditions, if the researchers asked about firearm ownersihp at 3 related households (1 family, 1 friend, 1 neighbor), there's probably someone with a gun. I have no idea how far they threw the net, but it's not hard to find someone who could "give access" to a firearm.

Why do I bring this up? So, in my house, my father had a shotgun. he kept it at work, b/c he worked in a sketchy part of town. He kept a baseball bat under his bed at home. That was probably fine for 1972. Anyhow, if I had killed myself by turning on my car in a closed garage, my death could have been included in this study as a "suicide in a house with a firearm."
lies, damn lies, statistics.

Page generated in 0.02808 seconds with 8 queries