View Single Post
Old March 13, 2012, 08:36 PM   #19
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well, maybe it is be'in an Ol'Coot, I have mellowed a bit.

I used to think everyone who shot should reload and couldn't understand why some one would not.

As said, have mellowed a bit.

I still think it is the way to go, and I talk about it with new folk, and they need to go no farther then my loading bench to know where I come down.

But due to experience and time, I now realise it is not for everyone.

When I started, it was almost a given that a good and careful reloader could produce ammo better then factory made. Might or might not be so today, as the manufactures have at least on some lines really upped the quality. To the point where in some cases we just might not find a load that shoots better then factory.

A couple years ago, I tried to get a friend involved to the point of him buying some components and my loading a test series. One time at the range and it was over. For what ever reason, he is just not willing to commit the time and effort to the process, and he wasn't even doing the hand loading.

He is content to buy a box or two of factory fodder and leave it at that.

I have another friend who desires to follow the process through and we have done so with his 30/06. He wants to do this and is willing to come over and commit to the process. He wants to be involved to the point he even helps me cast boolits.

So, more then the cost, are you willing to invest the time needed to become a proficient handloader and not just a reloader. There is a difference.

Cost, although the investment could be considerable, just may not be the biggest question.

Me?? well I have been in the game since the 1960s, will be 69 next month and just started down a new path of casting my own hunting bullets and working up cast boolits loads for a 45/70 the Spring of 2010, so guess I'm commited for the long haul.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page generated in 0.03697 seconds with 8 queries