View Single Post
Old October 20, 2009, 10:53 AM   #57
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss
I'm sorry it hurts your feelings that this is so; however in this great state, we are permitted to defend our own and others' residences and property at night.
Doesn't hurt my feelings. I don't have to live with having needlessly killed two people. BTW it happened during the day and Joe Horn did not use the statute that you allude to (defending property) as his defense ultimately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss
Your personal feelings notwithstanding, Joe Horn's actions fell completely within state law and nothing you can say and nothing you believe will change that.
I'll let this lady from the Houston Chronicle explain:

Quote:
But the best person to answer the question of whether Horn acted appropriately is Horn himself. He didn't need a grand jury to give him an answer.
He seemed to realize early on that needlessly shooting two men — regardless of their criminal behavior and illegal immigrant status, of which Horn was unaware at the time — would weigh heavily on him.

Through his attorney, Horn said he regretted shooting and that, if he had it to do over again, he would have stayed inside.

"Was it a mistake from a legal standpoint? No. But a mistake in his life? Yes," said defense lawyer Tom Lambright.
That message shouldn't get lost in all the celebrating from gun-rights advocates and armchair vigilantes who continue to proclaim Horn a hero and invite him to move next door.

This case has never been about gun rights, or self-defense. There are few people in this state who question someone's right to protect themselves with a gun if his or her life, family's life or property are threatened.

That wasn't the case with Horn.

The little old man from Pasadena gunned down two men like dogs. For a bag of loot.

He escaped indictment, but he'll carry that burden for the rest of his life.

Page generated in 0.02188 seconds with 8 queries