View Single Post
Old February 11, 2008, 09:34 AM   #14
caz223

Yeah, grandpa shooter, it really doesn't matter as much at 15 yards.
I learned to shoot on a farm, not at the range.
The first time I went to a pistol range I asked out loud why everybody was standing so close to the targets, I don't shoot at 25 yards unless it is to get a gun on paper after working on the sights.
I used to play a game with my friends called pig, yeah just like the basketball version, but it's at a swinger target, taking steps backwards until you miss.

Some people invariably approach me when I'm shooting and ask what the 'trick' is.
There's no trick, just try it, and after a few times, you will find yourself hitting paper plates at 50 yards.
Then it's just focus and concentration to get good groups.
When I get out to 70+ yards, I find it difficult to focus on the sights unless the sights are very good, or are micro 'dot' or 'peep' type sights.
The silhouette shooters impress me, I got no idea how they can shoot at those ranges with iron sights.

Don't get me wrong, I load on a semi-progressive (2 passes.), and I've never trimmed a piece of pistol brass, but I see a lot more stuff that I could be doing that may/may not improve the consistancy of my ammo and have not found it necessary at this point. For instance, I don't weigh charges, whatever my measure drops, it's good enough. If I don't find it consistant, I change recipes. I don't trim pistol brass. I don't uniform flash holes. (I do throw out off center flash holes.) etc, etc.

Page generated in 0.03661 seconds with 8 queries