View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
MLeake

Shooting with one hand, and pistol preference

Is it just me, or is it easier to shoot one-handed using all-metal platforms?

I've been practicing more and more, lately, with unsupported shooting, and shooting from non-standard positions (crouch, leaning over to either side, prone), both right (strong) hand and left (weak) hand.

As a result, I've been getting rid of most of my polymer pistols. I find that when shooting like I have been, lately, that I am more accurate with the first shot, and am better able to control strings of fire, using all metal compact or full-size guns, and all-steel subcompacts. (1911, CZ P01, and Kahr PM9)

When using Weaver, Chapman, or Isosceles, the polymers generally held their own. When not using a stance, the metal guns work better.

Thinking back on it, I traded in my FNX pistols after starting to practice for IDPA. They were great from stances, but I found that shooting them weak hand only was a different ball game, entirely - especially when moving, or shooting around a barricade.

Recently, I've traded all my poly guns, except for my PPS and M&P9c; I'm debating whether to keep those.

(Edit: I still have a PX4 9mm Compact, too, but I've already decided to sell that one.)

Thoughts?

(Edit: for drawing and shooting from a one-handed point, I am finding the old-school 1911 with small sights really comes into its own... JMB had some idea what he was designing.)

(Edit: weight really doesn't bother me, with regard to carry; then again, I pay the money for good belt and holster combos.)

Page generated in 0.03558 seconds with 8 queries