View Single Post
Old September 9, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
mitchntx

Two new gun purchases - disappointment!

I sold a trailer I no longer needed and decided to parlay that into a couple gun purchases.

My LGS was putting together a "group buy" on Thompson 1927A1 and was able to get in on it.

Second, I found a Smith Pro-Series 1911 in 9mm on clearance at a chain store.

Stoked and went to the range.

The Smith has serious extraction issues. The spent casing is still in the barrel as it tries load the next. Happens at least once on each of the supplied mags ... sometimes twice.

I have struggled and nursed 350 rounds through this thing and there is no sign of a change. I've run it wet, dry and normal ... The gun and especially the extractor has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected with no sign of an issue.

I guess a call to Smith is in order.

Second ... the Thompson.

What a great looking gun and was giddy to get it.

First 30 rounds sailed through the gun flawlessly. Accurate as hell and reports of a long and heavy trigger are greatly exagerated. Sure it's no Volquartsen, but its no Sigma either.

Next 30 saw the bolt failing to close all the way. How is that possible with the dual massive recoil springs? Grab the bolt again and it would go alittle further and again, it would finaly close.

Three or four rounds later, it would do it again. I was running the recommended round ... 230g ball nose FMJ.

An inspection saw no apparent reason for the binding.

Kahr is no Smith from what I've read.

Disappointment is deep with this one ...

Anyone have any experience with either of these platforms?

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries