Thread: I swear....
View Single Post
Old April 21, 2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Doc Hoy

My frustration

I have been doing eBay since about 1995. Obviously I don't make a business out of it, but when I need something I generally check eBay first. Today I got my 622nd positive feedback and I am still at 100%. I actually used that on a resume once.

When it started eBay was truly a venue for individuals to sell things to other individuals. Then it got out of hand.

I used to collect Britains soldiers. There are price guides just as there are price guides for black powder revolvers.

Then over a period of a few years the sets started proliferating on eBay. And the same phenomenon that is driving the price of that junk frame drove the price of the sets through the roof. I can't call myself a serious toy soldier collector just as I can't really call myself a serious BP revolver collector. But it sure was frustrating to see the price of these sets bid up by fools who don't know diddly. All of a sudden the price guides were useless. The best way to find the value of a soldier set was to check eBay and see what numbskulls were paying for them. And, yes, openned sets were going for higher prices than one might pay to an online seller for a brand new set plus shipping.

So a used brass frame goes for 125.00 plus 16.00 shipping when you can buy a new pistol for 179.00. and no shipping because the order is more than 150.00. Maybe the bidder knows something I don't know. Maybe he has a barrel and cylinder and just wants to finish the pistol. Maybe there is something special about the frame that is beyond me. On the other hand maybe he is just another of the blithering idiots who are attracted to eBay and who are beginning to be attracted to Gunbroker who just push the bid button without even the slightest effort at knowing the value of what they are bidding for.

Just one of the things that urks me.

Page generated in 0.03408 seconds with 8 queries