Thread: AK training ??
View Single Post
Old November 25, 2011, 06:36 PM   #8
AK103K

Quote:
It also seems as if it sticks; sometimes popping free easily and other times it requires a great amount of force.
One thing you want to do to pretty much all of them, regardless of who made them, is take a jewelers file to to the mag release, and "lightly" break the sharp edges. The part is a stamping, and those edges tend to grab the tail on the mag, making it difficult to release.

If it is a WASR, you may also want to check the fit of the mags in the mag well. If the mags go in snug, you may want to open it up a tad.

You will probably want to hit the little "tit" on the back of the selector as well, and maybe the point on the receiver where they sometimes catch. This will also make the selector smoother and easier to use.

When you do mag changes, use your left hand (assuming your right handed). There is a malfunction that can totally tie an AK up, and it usually results from swapping mags with the right hand. What happens is, the "nose" of the mag isnt inserted fully, but just enough, that you can rock it back and lock it. Problem is, its not seated properly, and the rounds are now to low to be stripped by the bolt. Try and remove the mag, and it wont budge. Best way I found to get it out, is put the butt on the ground and kick it out. Its not a very common thing, especially if you load using your left hand, but it can and does occur.

I carry my mags "rounds up" and facing to the right in a chest bag. Ive found the tail on the mags wants to get hung up in a lot of the pouches and can cause problems. When you carry them "up", a quick pull has the mag in your hand and ready to go. After trying a bunch of different pouches, my favorites are still the three and four cell "ChiCom" chest bags. They are very comfortable, and very well made. A couple of bucks in plastic snap buckles, and its easier on and off.

I prefer the "standard" plastic type AK grip over most of the others. It aloows you do rerach the controls without really moving your grip, and is fine for controlling the gun during reloads.

Personally, I prefer the standard "fixed" stocks of the correct "Warsaw" length, over most of the folders. The Russian type "fixed" folders would be next, followed by the "wire" Romanian/German type. They are rock solid open or closed, and also the correct length. The wire type and fixed type are easily swapped out on most guns. The fixed folder and under folders are not. The under folders look cool, but I find them to be annoying.

Page generated in 0.03010 seconds with 8 queries