View Single Post
Old March 20, 2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Paul B.

I've only had three shots at game that were over 200 yards and that's out here in the West where shots are long. One was at an elk with a .300 Win. mag which is not germaine to the thread but the other two were with shorter barreled rifles in .308 Win. which should be relevent.

Shot number one was with a remington 660, 20" barrel. Load was the 150 gr. Sierra spitzer flat base bullet. (They didn't call then Pro-Hunters back in 1973 as I recall.) The load was stiff charge of H-335 but I no longer have the data. Almost 20 years of reloading notes disappeared when I moved from Nevada to Arizona. No laser rangefinder either.

I and my three hunting buddies paced the distance off then averaged the step count. It was 427 paces. Game was a 195 pound Nevada Mule Deer. The second long range shot was with a Ruger M77 RSI, the Mannlicher stocked rifle with an 18.5" barrel. This rifle is a one trick pony as there is only one load it shoots even reasonably well. The bullet is the 165 gr. Speer Hot-Core over a stiff load of W-760, Winchester bras ans WLR primer. The shot was at 250 yards laser measured.

The bullet hit the chest as the deer was facing me and penetared all the way to a back leg, breaking the bome. I found that a bit of a surprise as the bullet was leaving the muzzle at all of 2550 FPS. FWIW, that same load will do 2610 FPS from the 22" barrel of a Winchester M70.

I tried the load in a new custom Oberndorf mauser I recently had made up and it locked up the bolt. That load is perfectly safe in my M70, my Remington 660, and three Ruger m77 RSI's but locks up the bolt in that Mauser.

I guess I'll have to find a different bullet for those RSI's as Speer dropped the Hot-Core line for a cheaper way to make bullets.

Guess I'll be trying the Sierra 165 gr. Game King hollow points. It took me a year and a half to find a load those Rugers liked and now Speer drops the line. Well, I think I'll try and find what I can and hope it's enough.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03853 seconds with 8 queries