View Single Post
Old April 7, 2009, 02:47 PM   #30
JuanCarlos

Quote:
My guess is the Individual right is by taking my money (via taxes) in order to help and support those that have not worked as hard as myself in order to make sure we all have mediocre health care.

Benn that's just my interpretation of what he's saying.
Would you say the same for schools? Because I can easily replace "health care" with "education" in your statement.

Quote:
When the government tells you what you can buy, and from whom, when, where and at what price, YOU LOSE YOUR LIBERTY.

Government healthcare will turn into cost-benefit-anlysis based rationing of federal resources. Where do you find expansion or maintenance of individual liberty in that solution?

The federal system was set up to let Soveriegn States maintain the choices and policies each desires. In this regard, the founding fathers established a process that allows you to FREELY emmigrate to Massechusets to obtain state-managed helath care if you desire such or to emmegrate to a state without state-managed health care. When the federal governemnt mandates something, you loose the liberty to choose what you think is best for you while also being forced to pay for the imposed solution. Governemtn health care is not free, the federal governement does not add value or generate wealth. It simple and clearly redistributes resources. Federal helthcare only comes by forceably taking money away from people in order to give services to others. TELL THOSE THAT HAVE THEIR MONEY TAKEN FROM THEM THAT THEY HAVEN'T LOST ANY LIBERTY!
Again, everything you say would apply to public education as well...though I suppose it depends if any private health care alternatives remained (as some private schools do). Or most services the government provides (police, fire, etc.). I can't think of any state I can emigrate to where I won't be taxed for these things. And neither the Constitution nor the founding fathers seem to have any solution if, by some chance, all fifty states were to institute such a policy. Where would you easily emigrate to then?

So yeah, still not seeing an individual rights issue here. If your state can do it to you, and if all fifty states can do the same should they choose, it seems more like a separation of powers issue...which is to say that the problem is that the federal government is doing it, not that the government is doing it.

EDIT: Also the "tell those that have had their money taken" argument is a complete red herring.

EDIT: Lastly, having endured the Army healthcare system (no offense to any here who may have been a part of it...the issue was mostly systemic, not the individuals within it) I have very little desire to see what kind of nationalized healthcare system the federal government would foist upon us. But that's not the issue here.

Page generated in 0.02696 seconds with 8 queries