View Single Post
Old June 6, 2009, 12:51 AM   #95

Quote:

If you are required to be on duty at all times,
and required to perform the functions of your job at all times, then you should be paid 24/7/365.
Trust me, if I was to become involved in something when I was "off-duty", I'm back on the clock. I start getting paid.

Quote:

The fact that your employers are screwing you out of free work shouldn't grant you any rights or privileges that your fellow citizens, all equal before the law, don't get.

And if you try to pull me over on a Saturday morning when you're not at work, I won't be stopping for you. Because you stop being a cop the instant they stop paying you to be one. Anything else is you choosing to donate free labor to the city, county, or state... which isn't my, or anyone else's, problem.
Unlike us municipal officers, CSP has addressed the "free work" issue. Troopers get a take-home car they can use as I use my POV. In return, they have to stop and render assistance even if they are technically "off duty". So they get a perk for that added responsibility. I'm not sure if the perk actually balances out to be enough money for the additional requirements, but I'm sure Conn Trooper can tell us that.

But I would advise you don't come to CT and try refusing to stop for a trooper on that Saturday morning.

Me, you don't have to worry about. I don't get a take-home car and I'm not conducting a traffic stop in my Hyundai.

Back on track with the thread- technically I don't have any exemption from any state law in CT that pertains to legal carry in a banned environment when off-duty. For instance, I can't go waltzing into a grammer school with my handgun. And as Conn Trooper pointed out, I can't decide to go buy an AR-15 that has the wrong number of dreaded evil features on it that are banned in CT just because I'm a cop. I have to follow the same laws.

LEOSA does allow me to carry in other states which is indeed a great perk. I'm grateful to have it. But I am also of the mind that the patchwork system in place sucks for any law abiding citizen who wishes to have the means of self-defense. LEOSA barely passed in Congress and it was a long hard battle to get it through. Kind of similar to the battles we are currently involved in on gun rights. Any law that streamlines the issue is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by 209; June 6, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries