View Single Post
Old August 6, 2014, 07:38 PM   #16
OnTheFly

Kimio,

maestro's suggestions are good and he had a good observation regarding your muzzle rise lingering after the shot. While I can't see your body position, I am pretty confident you are doing what I see every day at the range.

What is your upper body doing? Is your upper torso vertical with your shoulders directly above your hips, or are your shoulders forward of your hips? This is an often missed component of shooting fundamentals. From your video, I would bet that someone could stand with their hand just a couple of inches behind your back. Every time you shoot, the recoil would cause you to bump into their hand.

Isosceles Stance: Let's see if we are talking about the same thing. Think of the stance like how a football player may be poised when facing an opponent. Your feet are spread wide enough to give you balance left to right, and your knees are slightly bent. This will be just a little wider than shoulder width with toes slightly angled away (out) from line of sight. Typically the foot on your strong side will be offset back 1/2 to 1 foot length. Lastly, your shoulders will be forward of your hips. Not so much that you are on the edge of losing balance, or that it hinders your ability to pick up your feet and change shooting location. Some refer to it as "rolling the shoulders forward". However, you must be careful not to push your head down which is referred to as "Turtling". Your chin should be up with eyes looking straight at the target.

This stance will allow you to do several things. First, it will give you a solid base to help manage recoil. Second, you can engage targets in front of you from side to side through a much greater arc. Third, you are in a position that allows you to quickly make a movement in any direction which is more of a self-defense and/or action pistol sport consideration.

Wrists/elbos: maestro had some good suggestions about determining what your muscles/joints are doing. My personal opinion is that the wrists should be locked out, and any bend in the elbows should be ever so slight. I believe you will find with your weight slightly forward of your hips, your concern about your wrists and elbows will be greatly reduced.

Watching the video, it appears your strong hand grip is quite high. That's great! It is an often missed item. As others have mentioned, your weak hand position is also paramount. The "Thumbs Forward" grip on the weak hand is the modern grip that you will see all top shooters using. Though the grips are nearly identical, many will have differing opinions on the role of each hand. Personally, I use a more firm grip with my support/weak hand than I do with my strong hand.

You mentioned groupings being fairly large. Much of this will be due to trigger control, which can be affected by the grip. Trigger control is a huge subject due to its importance in accurate shots. To put it simply, you don't want to "slap" the trigger. An example of trigger slapping is rapidly pulling the trigger so that the force of pulling the trigger causes the muzzle to be driven down. Instead, what you want to do is to "Prep" the trigger. That means you put just enough pressure on the trigger to the point where the hammer or firing pin will fall with only a minuscule amount of additional pressure on the trigger. It would probably help to do some dry fire practice with this. With only a snap cap in the gun, pull the trigger just until you believe it is going to fire, pause, then apply the rest of the pressure. This will help you learn your trigger. In live shooting, the idea is that you will subconsciously apply the trigger prep, and when the sights are aligned on the target, you apply the final amount of trigger pressure to fire the gun. Eventually, the trigger pull will appear to be one fluid movement, but you will subconsciously be prepping the trigger and finishing the shot.

Where the grip comes into play with trigger pull? This is my technique, so others may disagree, but you have to look at the physical makeup of your hand and fingers. The ideal trigger pull would be straight back into your palm. This will prevent the trigger from being pushed left or right which will result in the muzzle also being moved in the same direction. However, considering that fingers are jointed, it is nearly impossible to pull straight back. This is why I use a fairly strong weak/support hand grip. This keeps trigger finger movement from influencing the muzzle by essentially placing the gun in a vise.

There is SO much more here that I haven't mentioned, but getting your weight forward and learning better trigger control should start you in the right direction.

I hope that helps.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...

Last edited by OnTheFly; August 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.03608 seconds with 8 queries